WHO CAN GET MARRIED IN VERMONT? • Two people who are at least 18 years old can obtain a civil marriage. • If at least 16 but under 18, you may still be married but will need a parent or guardian consent, usually signed in person before the town clerk issuing the marriage license. • No marriage between close relatives: parent, grandparent, sister, brother, child, grandchild, niece, nephew, aunt, or uncle. • You must not be currently married to someone else or in a civil union with someone else. • Both parties must be of a sound mind. DO YOU NEED A LICENSE? • Yes, you will need a license. There is no waiting period. You must get married within 60 days of the issuance of the license or it will be void. DO YOU NEED A BLOOD TEST? • No, blood tests are not required in Vermont. HOW DO I OBTAIN A MARRIAGE LICENSE IN VERMONT? • Marriage licenses are issued by town clerks in Vermont. • If both are residents, you may go to the town clerk in either of your towns of residence. • If just one is a resident of Vermont, you must obtain your license in that town. • If neither are residents of Vermont, you may obtain your license at any town clerk’s office in the state. • The cost is $45, plus $10 if you want a certified copy mailed to you after the original is filed. • You must appear in person before the town clerk to apply for your license. You cannot apply via mail. • At least one of you must sign the application. WHAT INFORMATION SHOULD I BE PREPARED TO PROVIDE FOR THE APPLICATION? • Names, towns of residence, places and dates of birth • Your parents’ names and their places of birth (including mothers’ maiden names) • Town clerks may ask for documented proof, such as birth certificates, divorce/dissolution decrees, death certificates, etc. WHO CAN OFFICIATE? • A Vermont judge • A Vermont justice of the peace • A Vermont clergy member • Clergy from another state with permission of the Probate Court • Anyone over 18 who applies for a temporary registration with the Secretary of State and pays the $100 fee may officiate for a specific wedding. The right to officiate will end on the date the marriage license ends. WHAT STEPS SHOULD I EXPECT? • You must give your marriage license to the officiant prior to the ceremony. • After the service, the officiant will sign the license, at which time it becomes the official marriage certificate, and must deliver it within ten days to the town clerk who issued the license. • After filing, if requested and the $10 fee has been paid, a certified copy will be sent to you in the mail. PLEASE NOTE IN OUR AREA THE ONLY TOWN CLERK AVAILABLE ON FRIDAYS IS THE CITY CLERK IN RUTLAND. IF YOU ARE GETTING MARRIED ON A SATURDAY AND HAVE NOT OBTAINED A LICENSE AHEAD OF TIME YOU WILL NEED TO CONTACT HIS OFFICE AS SOON AS YOU ARRIVE IN THE AREA TO PROCURE THE LICENSE.